Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Dark Days of Winter


This has been a rough month.

After working so hard last semester, I was almost nauseous with dread thinking about coming back after Christmas. We had many snow days, which gave us a rough start and put us instantly behind. Research papers got piled on, and we started getting terrified as our appointments with real patients loomed closer and closer. Communication problems with instructors made things frustrating. Getting treated badly by seniors got annoying.

Finally, after failing a check-off in clinic on a particularly bad week, I'd had it. The stress made me break down right there in clinic! I went home and texted Kevin that I was done with the program. I'd worked too hard and spent too much money to deal with the crap that was coming my way.

Well, after drowning my sorrows in Moo-llennium Crunch ice cream and threatening to run away, Kevin was able to talk me down from my ledge. I had to re-think how I am approaching this program. I'm a serious student, and I intend to do well, but I'm taking it all TOO seriously. It's my whole life right now, and that's pathetic! I need to back away more often and give myself breaks. Fingers crossed that I can survive this without becoming a bitter old woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment